Filmmaking is a way to make movies (short or long) or films. It’s a way for a director to tell a story and share it with lots of people. It involves a lot of different steps and tasks, like coming up with an idea, writing a script, directing actors, taking pictures with a camera, recording sound, adding lighting and special effects, and putting it all together to make the final movie. Filmmaking has changed a lot over the years because of new technology, like better cameras and computers. If you want to learn how to make movies, you can go to a school or college that teaches Filmmaking. They might have classes or courses that can teach you all the different parts of making a movie. We have listed the details of various filmmaking courses and fees associated, with careers and colleges available for students.
What do you learn in filmmaking?
Screenwriting and Scriptwriting
Digital Camera Functionality
YouTube Audience Growth
VFX Visual Effects
Tribhuvan University offers a degree in Film Studies in Nepal
- This degree can help students get jobs in the film industry and also with the Public Service Commission for documentary work.
- The degree takes 4 years to complete and students can choose to specialize in different areas of filmmaking, like acting or editing.
- There are a few schools in Nepal that offer this degree, like Nepal Film Campus and Oscar International College.
- There are also some schools that offer shorter diploma courses in filmmaking, like Nepal Film Academy, Kantipur Film Academy, and Everest Film Academy.
Also, read Best film academy college in Kathmandu
Eligibility for Filmmaking courses
Since its a 4 years bachelor’s degree here are the eligibility criteria for filmmaking in Nepal:
- To become a filmmaker, you need to learn about photography, sound, lighting, and other things
- To study filmmaking in Nepal or India, you need to finish 10+2 and pass an entrance exam or do well in your 10+2 exams
- Except this, there might be specific criteria as per specific colleges
Apart from the below skills, one thing that is important is the passion to learn.
- Creativity and innovation
- Knowledge of photography
- Attention to detail and perfection
- Patience and concentration
- Leadership skills
- Teamworking skills
How to find a college that teaches about the part of filmmaking you’re interested in?
Here are the points you must check before your get admission to the college for filmmaking courses.
- Look for a professor who is experienced and knowledgeable in the field
- Ask previous students about their experiences at the college
- Make sure the college is affordable
- Look for a college that will help you get a job or internship after graduation
About filmmaking courses & curriculum
- C. Eng – 401 Compulsory English
- BFS 421 Psychology and Film Studies
- BFS 422 Basic Film History
- BFS 423 Film as an Art Form
- BFS 424 Film Making Fundamentals I
- C. Nep – 402 Compulsory Nepali
- BFS 425 Introduction To Sociology and Visual Anthropology
- BFS 426 (A,B,C,D,E)* Specialization I
- BFS 427 (A,B,C,D,E)* Specialization II
- Experimentation and Performance I (For ACTING)
- BFS 428 (A,B,C,D,E)* Film making fundamentals II (For DIRECTION, CINEMATOGRAPHY, EDITING, SOUND)
- C. Eng – 403 Compulsory English
- BFS 429 Film Theory and Criticism
- BFS 430 (A,B,C,D,E)* Specialization III
- BFS 431 (A,B,C,D,E)* Specialization IV
- Experimentation and performance II (For ACTING)
- BFS 430 (A,B,C,D,E)* Film making fundamentals III (For DIRECTION, CINEMATOGRAPHY, EDITING, SOUND)
- C. Nep. Std. 404 Compulsory Nepali Studies
- BFS 433 Research Methodology and Term Paper
- BFS 434 (A,B,C,D,E)* Specialization V (Theory + Internship)
- BFS 435 (A,B,C,D,E)* Specialization VI (Final project workshop + Dossier writing)
- BFS 436 (A,B,C,D,E)* Specialization VII (Final Film/Dissertation Film)
Career after Filmmaking courses
Career-wise it’s a very dynamic profession and if you acquire certain skills it’s among the high-paying jobs and industries. Avatar: The Way of Water 2022 has collected more than 1.5 billion dollars worldwide. Nepali movie prem geet released in India and did exceptionally well. Now, the movie as a whole comes out with a team of expert filmmakers. People in this sector make anywhere from 4 lakhs to 50 lakhs a year in Nepal.
Popular Film-Making Colleges in Nepal
Oscar International College
Everest Film Academy
Kantipur Film Academy
Nepal Film and Television Academy
Barry John Acting Studio Nepal
Popular Film-Making Colleges in India
Film and Television Institute of India (FTII)
Satyajit Ray Film & Television Institute (SRFTI)
Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan’s Film, TV and Animation Studies (BVBFTS)
Ramesh Sippy Academy of Cinema and Entertainment (RSACE)
Asian Academy of Film and Television
L V Prasad Film and TV Academy
Centre For Research in Art Of Film & Television (CRAFT)
Filmmaking Courses Fees
|Nepal||4 Lakhs to 15 Lakhs (NPR)|
|India||6 Lakhs to 18 Lakhs (INR)|