In the United Arab Emirates (UAE), since 2019, people who work as freelancers like tutors, coaches, musicians, artists, designers, and media professionals can now get permission to work legally in the UAE. They can get a special kind of visa called a Dubai freelance visa which allows them to live in the UAE permanently. There are many different organizations that can give you this kind of visa, so it’s essential to pick the right one that’s best for your business. A freelance visa is a type of visa that lets you live in the UAE without having a company or someone else sponsoring you.
To get this kind of visa, you first need to get special permission called a freelance permit, a kind of work permits for freelancers. Different organizations in different parts of the UAE can give you this permit. Once you have the permit, you can get the visa which will look like a regular UAE residency visa and will be valid for 2 or 3 years.
Freelancer License Permit
A freelance license in Dubai and UAE is like a permission slip that lets you work as a freelancer (working for yourself) anywhere in the country. If you are a freelancer, you don’t have to have a special visa (if you already have a visa because your spouse or a company has one), but you do need a freelance permit. This means that while a freelance visa is something you can choose to get, a freelance permit is something you must have if you want to work as a freelancer and get paid for it.
Benefits of a Freelance Visa Dubai
UAE is a very safe place to start freelancing and many people there would like to do it if they could.
- Having a freelance permit and visa in Dubai lets you work for different companies and have a more flexible schedule.
- It’s more affordable, allowing you to offer your services at lower prices.
- You don’t need to have an office space or pay for expensive set-up costs.
- You can work as an independent contractor for companies across UAE and have access to the free zone’s business center.
- You can sponsor family members to come live with you in Dubai but you can’t sponsor employees with your freelance permit and visa.
- Choose your own schedule and decide how much work you want to take on
- Do something you enjoy, have more time for vacation
- Be in charge of your own business live and travel anywhere you want
- Get a special kind of visa that lets you live in the UAE, and bring your family to live with you in the UAE
Also, Check UK Seasonal Work Visa
Who Can Apply For A Freelance Visa
- Anyone can be a freelancer in the UAE, you don’t need special certificates or degrees.
- There are many different sectors you can work in like education, media, Design, and technology.
- You can apply for a freelance visa in Dubai if you work in fields like
- giving advice
- helping customers
- building websites.
- You can find a list of all the things you’re allowed to do with this visa on the freelance website.
- Different organizations in Dubai will handle your permit depending on the sector you’re in like
- Dubai Internet City for tech
- Dubai Media City for media
- Dubai Knowledge Park for education.
What can you do as a freelancer?
Freelancers are people who work for themselves and can do many different jobs. Some examples include:
- Writing stories, and articles and checking for mistakes
- Making pictures and designs for things like logos and brochures
- Building and fixing websites and phone apps
- Helping people with social media, making their websites come up higher in search results, and sending emails to customers
- Giving advice to businesses and people
- Translating documents and interpreting what people say
- Taking pictures and making videos
- Making music and sound
- Helping people with their schedules, emails, research, and typing.
The above list is not exhaustive and you can do tons more things depending on your talent and skills.
Also, check Canada seasonal work visa
Documents Requirements for Freelancer Work Permit
You don’t need special education or job experience to be a freelancer in UAE.
- Some papers ready, like your
- passport & Visa (minimum 8-month Validation)
- A letter from someone who is responsible for you (like your parents or employer)
- CV (Resume)
- No Objection Letter (NOC)
- Recent Photo
- If you are already living in UAE, you also need a letter that says they don’t mind you freelancing.
- Want to work in the education field, you need to show some papers that show you’re qualified for it.
- If you want to work in the media field, you need to show some examples of your work.
- For the Tech sector, you can only pick one activity to do.
How to Apply for Freelance Visa Dubai?
To apply for a freelance visa in Dubai, you first need to apply for a freelance permit or license to become a registered freelancer in the emirate. There are many options for getting a freelance permit and visa in Dubai, such as DWC/Dubai South Free Zone, and GoFreelance under Dubai Development Authority.
You also have the option to apply for a freelance permit and visa in other emirates in UAE, such as Abu Dhabi and Umm Al Quwain. Each emirate has different options for obtaining a freelance permit and visa with varying costs and requirements. It’s important to check the rules and regulations of each authority and the cost of the permit and visa before making your decision.
You can apply for your freelance permit in UAE through the Gofreelance website. Just go to the website and click on the option “Go Apply” fill out the form and attach the necessary papers.
Steps for Getting Visa
You need a letter from your sponsor (like your parents or employer) that says they are okay with you freelancing.
After you apply online, you will get an email when your application is approved, this can take up to 10-15 days.
You will need to visit a business center to sign some papers and pay fees.
Once you receive your permit, you will also receive access to TECOM’s business service platform, AXS, which allows you to apply for an establishment card (this will cost extra).
After you have the establishment card, you can apply for a freelance visa under the Dubai Development Authority (DDA), which is valid for 3 years.
Once you submit your application for the freelance visa, you will receive an entry permit within 5-7 working days.
You will need to complete some procedures like a medical test before your residency visa is stamped and valid for 2-3 years.
Cost of Freelance Visa
The cost of getting a freelance visa in Dubai can vary depending on if you are applying within the UAE or outside the UAE.
If you are applying within UAE:
- The normal fee is AED 4,960
- The express fee is AED 6,340
If you are applying outside UAE:
The normal fee is AED 3,330
The express fee is AED 3,900
Please note that the cost includes charges for a medical test, visa stamping, and Emirates ID. Also, if you Are applying from Nepal it will cost you somehow NPR 200000 to NPR 300000.
An establishment card is a special paper you need to have if you want to work on your own or be a freelancer in Dubai. It shows that you are allowed to do business in Dubai. You need it to get special permission to do business, open a bank account and use other services. You can get it from the Dubai Development Authority (DDA) and it lasts for 1 year. It usually costs around 2000 AED. The cost for the freelance permit (valid for 1 year) is AED 7,500. Please note that these costs are separate from each other and from the cost of the freelance visa.
Before giving money to anyone for application please do some research by yourself. There is an easy and simple way you can apply for. Watch some videos and you can do it by yourself. If you have any questions you can also contact us for help. I hope you get some insights on freelance visas please share this piece of information if you like it.